Tips To Improve PC Performance :
Just like your automobile and any other equipment you own, you need to perform regular preventive maintenance to improve the performance of your PC and keep it error free. Let’s have a look at a few simple tips that you can follow to achieve this goal.
- With numerous malware programs, such as viruses, backdoors, spyware, and Trojans lurking around, the most important task to ensure a healthy PC, is to install reliable antivirus and antispyware software and update them regularly with the latest definitions. These programs not only remove malicious files and programs from your PC, but also prevent any new infections to your PC.
- To ensure that your PC is operating at an optimal level, you must ensure that your hard disk is free from unwanted files and errors. You can easily perform these tasks using the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter utility available on your XP computer. You can open these utilities from Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.
- To keep your PC at its best performance, it is very important for you to maintain a healthy registry. The registry comprises all hardware and software configuration information about your PC in a hierarchal data structure. Whatever task you perform on your PC, the registry is accessed by your operating system, applications, and hardware to carry out the required operation. In the process, a large amount of data is added to and removed from the registry within a few seconds. Over time, the registry gets filled up with loads of unwanted, obsolete, and incorrect information. This, in turn, damages the registry and results in deteriorated system performance and frequent system errors. Thus, to improve the performance of your computer, you need to keep the registry free from these errors. The best and simplest method to maintain an error-free registry is to use a compatible Vista or XP registry cleaner utility. Using a registry cleaner you can easily scan the entire registry and fix errors.
- All operating system software and hardware product manufacturers release regular patches and security updates to patch up the security vulnerabilities in their products. These vulnerabilities can be misused by hackers and malicious programs such as viruses and spyware to gain access to your PC. These programs not only harm your critical data and considerably affect the performance of your PC, but are also capable of stealing your confidential information, such as credit card numbers and user names/passwords, and transmit them to external sources. To prevent this from occurring on your PC, you must regularly update your operating system, applications, and device drivers with the latest updates and ensure yourself an error-free, high performance PC.
- The popularity of e-mails both for business and personal use has given rise to a new problem—spam or unwanted e-mails. Spam e-mails are a computer user’s nightmare. They not only clutter your e-mail program, but also eat up a lot of storage space and even slow down your PC. Many times, these mails carry links to dubious websites, and clicking on these links may download malicious spyware and adware programs to your PC. To prevent these spam mails, you must configure an anti-spam software on your system. Today, most antivirus software are equipped with the anti-spam feature. Ensure that this option is always turned on to prevent spam mails from downloading.
Follow the tips discussed here and be vigilant about the e-mails you open, websites you browse, and software you download on your PC. Try to keep yourself updated about the latest security risks and the methods to protect your PC and network from these risks. All of these measures will help you improve the performance of your PC and enhance your computing experience.